Rev. Dr. Will Stalder
(01651) 806 264
Mrs. Pam Marr
Tel: 01651 842551
OS Map Reference: NJ893274
Car Parking: Available
Hearing Loop: Available
Disabled Access: Available-please contact us in advance if you can
Disability Toilets: Available
Pitmedden Church was at one time the Free Kirk in Udny and was constructed in 1864 after the first church built following the Disruption of 1843 showed signs of decay. Built in the early Gothic style it has an elaborate clock and bell tower, the clock having been gifted in 1921 by Mrs Taylor. The exterior roof has a decorative band of red and green slates while the interior ceiling is of patterned pine.
The balcony is supported by Egyptian-style cast iron columns and two tablets on the east wall commemorate the church’s first two ministers – George Archibald and George Abel. Pitmedden and Udny churches reunited in 1931.
Extensive renovation work was carried out at the end of the 20th century during which the pulpit and ground floor pews were removed to create a multi-purpose open space. A rear extension provided kitchen and toilet facilities and the church was rededicated in December 2001.